GTA 5 offers a fun yet worth-exploring gameplay mode called Director Mode, which allows you to change your character appearance and configure some in-game settings to film or record without using any mods.
In this article, we’ll tell you what Director Mode is, how to use it, its features, and some extra tips to help you become a content creator.
Table of Contents
What is a Director Mode in GTA 5?
The Director Mode in GTA 5 is a gameplay mode that turns your protagonist into a selected actor and alters other usual aspects of the game, such as the time of day, weather, and wanted status. This mode allows you to record, film, or simply experience GTA 5 from a new perspective.
How to Enter Director Mode in GTA 5
To use Director Mode in GTA 5, pick “Story Mode” from the main menu and let the game load your previous save. After that, please follow the steps we’ve provided below.
You can access director mode in the game using three methods. Here are the methods and their tutorials:
1. Using Rockstar Editor
- Pause the game by pressing “P“.
- Go to the “Rockstar Editor” tab using the arrow keys and press Enter.
- Scroll down to “Director Mode“, then press Enter again.
- It will prompt you that you are entering director mode. Press “Enter” again to continue.
2. Using Interaction Menu
- While on free roam, Press “M” to spawn the Interaction menu.
- Scroll down to “Director Mode” using arrow keys.
- Press the “Enter” key to select, then press the “Enter” key again to confirm.
3. Using Your In-Game Phone
- Press the “UP” arrow key on your keyboard.
- Go to the “Contacts” icon using the arrow keys.
- Press the “Spacebar” key to spawn the dial pad.
- Enter “1-999-57-825368” using the arrow keys.
- Press “Spacebar” again to dial.
- A prompt will show up. Press the “Enter” key to confirm.
Just a tip: You can’t access Director Mode if the main protagonist is currently in a vehicle, wanted, or active in a mission.
GTA 5 Director Mode Menus
In Director Mode, there are two menus: one from the main menu and another one when you’re inside Director Mode.
You can use your “Arrow” keys to navigate, the “Enter” key to confirm, “Spacebar” to apply, and the “Esc” key to go back.
To understand its functions, we’ve provided a more detailed preview of the options from the main menu of Director Mode:
|Actors||This is where you pick your main character or NPC.|
|Settings||You can continue to the filming area after deciding on your chosen actor and settings.|
|Shortlist Actors||This tab includes options such as time, weather, wanted status, pedestrian density, vehicle density, and cheats.|
|Recently Used||This option is the same as the shortlist actors, but this menu will show you the most recent actors you’ve used. So, it changes every time.|
|Exit to Story Mode||This will exit the Director Mode and load the last saved location of your protagonist on the main game.|
|Enter Director Mode||You can continue to the filming area when you’ve decided on your chosen actor and settings.|
Press “M” To bring up the menu of director mode while in-game. We’ve also provided you the list of menu options when you are already inside the Director Mode:
|Settings||This section is the same as above: change the weather, time, wanted status, vehicle and pedestrian density, etc.|
|Location||Teleport to a new location.|
|Action||You can use this to make your actor make some gestures.|
|Dialogue||You can use this to make your actor say something.|
|Switch Actor||This will switch you to your most recent or shortlisted actors.|
|Garage||This option allows you to select any car stored in your protagonist’s personal garage.|
|Scene Creator||You can place and edit props from the game world in this section.|
|Rockstar Editor||This will edit your saved recordings.|
|Return to Casting Trailer||This will return you to the main menu of Director Mode.|
|Quit Director Mode||This will quit the Director Mode and take you back to GTA 5 Story Mode.|
Restrictions in Director Mode
Although almost identical, the Director and Story Mode differ in several ways. Director Mode has more restrictions than Story Mode. Here are the lists:
- While in Director Mode, it is not possible to access Barbershops or Clothing Stores.
- Los Santos Custom is closed or off-limits.
- In Director Mode, there are no random events or mini-games.
- Hunting is not allowed in Director Mode.
- You’re not allowed inside mission-specific buildings.
- You can only use the Snapmatic camera app on your mobile phone.
- You have to kill NPCs to get weapons, as no weapons are lying around the map.
- You can’t hire Prostitutes, but they still show up at their usual spots
- If you have the invincibility cheat on and the actor gets busted by the cops or knocked out, you go back to the casting trailer menu.
- You can only use the first-person view if you play as one of the protagonists or one of the GTA Online characters.
Another tip: As you play through the main story missions in GTA 5, you’ll unlock various types of actors. So, make sure to complete the entire game to access them all.